Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Green Foods Products


Hi Everyone! My name is Jessica and my Mom asked me to do a review of the Green Foods products.

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Since then, I have been on a search to find foods that well help strengthen my body and keep my blood sugar in check. I was thrilled when my Mom contacted me and told me that the Green Foods company had contacted her to do a review on their products. I was sent a few of the items to review including the Green Magma, the Magma Plus, True Vitality Vanilla, True Vitality Chocolate, Organic Chia, Barley Dog, and the Shaker for use with the products.
Before partaking in the review of these products I consulted my doctor, and I would recommend that anyone planning to implement any nutritional supplements into their diet do the same. All statements in this review are my opinion and how the products worked with my body. Results may not be the same for each person.

According to the website, Green Foods Corporation, founded by pharmacological researcher Yoshihide Hagiwara, M.D. in 1979 is an industry leader who is dedicated to improving human health and well-being. We learned this first hand with the company representative. The company was extremely generous in the products received for review and were concerned about my health. I was impressed that they took such concern over just one person! The company features nutritional supplements that in most cases are organic, vegan friendly, and gluten free.

Below, you will find my review for each product I received. There is a wealth of information (including all nutritional information, benefits, and testimonials) for the products and additional products not featured here, at the Green Foods website. 



These are my favorite of all the products I received! When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes, the nurse assigned to discuss my eating plan stressed the importance of eating all meals throughout the day to keep my blood levels stable. I have always struggled with breakfast. I have two beautiful daughters, and the mornings require that we all leave the house at the same time. It is often a rush to get us all ready and out the door. I would often skip breakfast just due to time. With the True Vitality products, I do not have to worry about skipping breakfast and I get an amazing assortment of nutrition that my body needs! Also, as one of the steps in my battle to restore my blood sugar levels, I had to drop weight. These shakes are great to help with that as they are low in calories and fat! I use them as part of my diet plan.

Green Foods developed the shake as in all in one meal replacement containing "VEGETARIAN PROTEIN, OMEGA-3'S, PROBIOTICS, ENZYMES, CARBOHYDRATES, GREENS, FIBER, AND 100% OF THE RDA OF ESSENTIAL DAILY VITAMINS." The shakes are so easy to use, you just mix them with 8-10 ounces of water (or you can use milk or juice if you prefer). My kit came with the shaker, which makes preparing them on the go a breeze! Also, I have found this product extremely easy to use at my desk at work. I tried the chocolate variety first, and it was not as sweet as I had expected. I added a small amount of Splenda to the shaker and it was perfect for me! Now that I have been using the product for almost two weeks, I have adjusted to the taste and can drink it plain (but I still prefer my Splenda!). For anyone who has ever used supplement shakes, you can relate that sometimes they do not blend easily and leave chunks in the liquid. This was not the case at all with True Vitality! I have never had a problem blending it and the texture is just perfect! Also, I do believe that the combination of this product and the Magma Plus has given me a huge dose of extra energy. I feel better than I have in a long time! I no longer come home and slump on the couch, I have the energy to complete projects after work and even spend some great family time outside when the weather is nice!

And the nutrition included in each shake is out of this world! I feel so good about what is going into my body. Here is a breakdown of what is included from the Green Foods website:

• Vegetarian Proteins: A balanced protein profile from pea, rice, hemp, barley, chlorella, and spriulina. Unlike animal protein, vegetarian proteins are highly digestible and low in saturated fats.

• Specially Formulated Enzymes: The proteolytic enzyme blend is a specially formulated blend of five different types of enzymes designed to aid in the complete digestion of the vegetarian proteins. The enzymes help to reduce the digestive load placed on the body from protein supplementation while providing the maximum nutrient availability for the recovery and rebuilding process.

• DHA from Algal Oil: The DHA (omega-3 fatty acid) found in True Vitality™ comes from algal oil. DHA is recommended by the American Heart Association and the USDA Dietary Guidelines for good cardiovascular health, and it also supports the brain, eye, and nervous system development and functioning.

• Digestive Health: A blend of prebiotics and probiotics work together to maintain healthy flora throughout the digestive tract. Prebiotic organic inulin assists the movement of food through the large intestine while helping to maintain healthy cholesterol and blood glucose levels.

• 8 Billion Active Probiotic Cells: These 8 billion probiotic cells, the most of any product in the market, helps to maintain healthy and beneficial intestinal flora in the small intestine. In addition, probiotic supplementation assists vitamin synthesis, enhances immunity, and promotes a healthy digestive tract.

My only con about the product is the price. The box of 7 shakes retails for $20.00 on the website, averaging about $2.86 per shake. You have the option of vanilla, chocolate, or unflavored. You can purchase it in the individual single packets or in a bulk tub (which is cheaper per serving). However, for the nutrition benefits received, I am reconsidering my budget to accommodate this product, I love it that much!




Due to the similar nature of Magma Plus and Green Magma, I decided to only use one product at a time. I started with Magma Plus.

Magma Plus (also called the Ultimate Super Food on the website) contains a mixture of barley grass and other supplements.

There are a few ingredients in the Magma Plus that according to my physician may be linked to increased blood pressure. I was cleared to use the product but on the suggestion that it not be used daily, but on those days when I have not been my best at eating a variety of fruits and vegetables.

This product is also extremely easy to use. You simply mix it in a drink of your choice. According to the company, it is best used on an empty stomach and with cold liquids (as hot liquids can destroy the probiotic cultures).

At first I was mixing mine with my True Vitality Shake, but I began having stomach cramps. I think I was giving myself too many Probiotic Cultures at once! So I have switched, to using the shake in the morning and the Magma Plus in the evening, and have not had an issue with cramping.

I love it and I truly credit the use of the True Vitality and the Magma Plus as the reason for my increase in energy and general feeling of well-being.



The Organic Chia seeds are a source of Omega-3’s, protein, and fiber. According to the company, they are also used for diabetics as it was stated that the chia seeds form a protective coating around carbs making them harder to be absorbed into the blood stream. My doctor was unable to verify this claim, and with my blood tests during the use of this product I was unable to verify if this claim worked for me as well. However, the fact that they are a great source of Omega-3’s make this a worthy product!

To be honest, I struggled with these seeds at the beginning. It was suggested that they be added to liquid. I tried that, and it was not bad, but the texture was a little difficult for me. The seeds developed an almost gelatin like coating around each of them. Again, it was not bad, but not an easy swallow. Then I tried adding them to my Greek Yogurt. This is by far my favorite way of eating them! They give the yogurt a great crunch. Also, just a bit of advice, bring something to brush your teeth with or rinse with after. I found the seeds tend to linger, so a good rinse will get rid of all the stragglers.



The Barley Dog product is a product for canine companions made from barley grass. You know how you can often catch your dog eating grass? This product helps your furry friend get the nutrients they are seeking from eating grass without the throat and stomach irritation, not to mention any lawn chemicals, that comes with eating full grass blades. The product comes in a hickory smoke flavor for the dogs, and according to the company has many healthful benefits including:

• Provides active enzymes, vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, amino acids, chlorophyll, bioflavonoids and essential trace minerals.

• Regular use promotes healthy skin and coat, reduces bad breath, improves digestion and restores energy levels - especially among senior dogs.

The review for this product will be coming later! Jaime’s dogs will be doing the review of this product and she will get back to you with the results. The company also has a Barley Cat product for all you feline lovers out there.

Overall I have fallen in love with these products and have made them a part of my daily life (except the Barley Dog! lol). I am feeling better and have more energy, which I attribute to the use of these products. Please take a moment to visit the Green Foods website, as they have so much information about each of the products that cannot be compressed into one review. Also, if you are interested in trying the products featured above, some of them can be found in the Green Foods Sample Pack. The pack includes samples of Green Magma, Magma Plus, and True Vitality, along with the shaker. For only $3.99 this is a great way to introduce yourself to the products and determine for yourself their benefit to you.
Disclosure:  I was provided with a complimentary sample of this product to do a review.  My opinions are always my own, your experience or opinion may be different. Please see my full Disclosure Policy at the bottom of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive